Before you hit the green, you need to get a good golf bag. But it’s common to be a little shocked when you see the price tag. But why does it cost so much to purchase a good golf bag?
The cost of the golf bag will be determined by a wide range of factors. These include; the type of material, style, manufacturing process, brand name, and type of features you want to include. Generally, though, there are plenty of cheap golf bags that you can use.
A golf bag is more than just a tube that will hold your clubs. Keep reading to learn why golf bags cost so much and whether it’s worth paying extra for an expensive bag.
Table of Contents
What Determines the Price of a Golf Bag?
Multiple elements will determine how much it costs to purchase a golf bag. Here are some of the most common contributing elements:
- This is one of the most important elements that will impact the price. There are a few types of materials that you can use. Nylon tends to be the most common option. It’s durable and lightweight. Though if you want a premium feel, it might be worth paying a little more to get a bag that’s made from leather or canvas.
- Often, making a golf bag will be a complex process, requiring pockets to be sewn on at an angle.
- Sometimes, you will want to get something that comes with special features. For example, you might want to divide all the clubs, so it’s easier to find the one you want.
- There are three types of bags, each built for a different audience. Cart bags are designed to sit on the back of the golf course as you drive around the course. On the other hand, you might want to get a stand bag, which is designed to be wheeled around the green. Finally, you can get a carry bag, which needs to be lightweight, so you can lift it comfortably.
- Brand name. This is one of the most important elements impacting price. Sometimes, prestige brands will charge a higher price, so you associate the product with quality. That’s why it’s a good idea to shop around for a golf brand. If you opt to get one that doesn’t come with a brand name attached you can save yourself a lot of money.
How Much is a Golf Bag?
Now that we know the elements that determine how much it costs to make a golf bag, we can turn our attention to the average cost of the bag. In this area, it will all depend on what you are looking for. If you want to get a cheap bag, you should be able to pick one up for around $50.
However, if you want to get a premium golf bag, the price can easily creep up. For a top-of-the-line product, you can end up paying between $600 to $900.
Are There Benefits to a More Expensive Golf Bag?
While you might understand why a golf bag is so expensive, it’s worth considering whether there are benefits to paying more for your golf bag. Aside from the price tag, there are a few common differences between expensive bags and their cheaper counterparts.
First, an expensive golf bag will be fully waterproofed. However, if you are getting a cheaper bag, this is less likely to be the case. Sometimes, the pockets will be splash-proof. But this won’t be much help if you get caught in the middle of a downpour. This risks all your valuables being destroyed. Plus, there is a chance that your golf clubs will be damaged.
More expensive golf bags also tend to offer padded dividers for your clubs. This makes it easy to find the right one. Plus, it stops your clubs from clanging together. Over time, this rattling can cause small dents, which may start to affect your accuracy. Buying new golf clubs is expensive, which is why purchasing a high-quality bag can be a good investment.
Despite these benefits, if money is tight, you can probably get away with using a cheap golf bag. Though you’ll still need to put a little effort in, to make sure that you are choosing a decent bag. Here are some of the elements all quality golf bags should possess:
- Comfortable, adjustable straps. This will make it easier to lift and transport your bag.
- Type of bag. As we discussed earlier. There are a few ways of transporting the bag, from putting it onto the golf cart to carrying it around the course yourself. Each of these will have slightly different requirements.
- Number and size of pockets. Golf bags are used for more than just transporting clubs. They can be used for things like tees or ball markers. Sometimes, you might even want to use them to hold your phone or wallet as you play.
- It’s a good idea to look at whether your golf bag will be waterproof. Though this isn’t a dealbreaker, you will need to keep it in mind.
- Other features. Though these are the most important elements, you can also consider additional features. For example, you might want to get a bag that comes with a rain hood or a place for you to put your gloves.
- Finally, some golf bags will come with a warranty. If it breaks or tears, you will be able to send it to the manufacturers and get them to fix it for you.
As long as you can find a gold bag that will tick most of these boxes, it should prove to be a fairly reliable product.
Can You Play Without a Bag?
Technically, it will be possible to play a game of golf without a bag. You can just put all your clubs in the cart. Though this has a few significant downsides. Like denting your clubs and making it harder to keep them organized.
In reality, it’s unlikely that you will get the green. Many clubs will stop people from playing if they don’t have an appropriate bag. Thankfully, this rule isn’t too strict. As long as you have a bag that can hold your gear, you can play.
Taking Care of Your Golf Bags
Since it can be such a large investment, it’s important to make sure that your golf bags last a long time. When taken care of properly, it should be able to last for several seasons. Here are some simple maintenance tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t put away wet. You should give your bag some time to dry before you put it into storage. This ensures that there is no risk that you be growing mold.
- Cleaning the bag. After a heavy rain, your bag might likely be looking a little worse for wear. Thankfully, cleaning it will be easy. You just need to wet the side of the canvas with warm water and carefully try to remove the dirt. If the stain is still there, you can try using a solution of one part water and one part vinegar.
- If the bag has started to stink, you can try soaking the bag in warm water, with a few scoops of laundry liquid.
Golf bags might be expensive, but they will usually be worth it. They are tasked with protecting your clubs and valuables. Generally, the bigger the price tag, the more luxurious the bag will be. Though if you are on a tight budget, you should be able to get away with using a cheap bag.