Why can’t you just increase the length of the shaft of your golf clubs instead of buying the best golf clubs for tall men specifically? Well, the answer to that is not so simple. First of all, you should know not every tall golfer is tall in the same manner. Meaning some of them have a longer upper half of the body as opposed to longer legs with a shorter trunk.
So one thing needs to be understood - that height isn’t the only determinant here. When it comes to finding out what the length of your golf club should be, the factor that plays a major role is the wrist-to-floor measurement. If that number is over 36 inches, then it’s decided that standard length or regular clubs are not for you.
But then, once again, the solution is not that simple. Meaning, not all tall golfers really benefit from longer golf clubs. It also depends on how wide of an arc you create during your swing movement. A wider arc generates more clubhead speed, which produces longer shots. So here are golf clubs that support your kind of swing technique and gameplay.
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Golf Clubs to Buy If You’re A Tall Golfer
- 1. Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set
- 2. Palm Springs Golf Visa Mens Tall Graphite & Steel Club Set
- 3. Aspire XD1 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- 4. Precise M5 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- 5. Pro Performance Golf New Mens Complete Golf Set
- 6. PreciseGolf Co. 18 Piece Men’s Complete Golf Club
- 7. Wilson Men’s and Teen Complete Golf Set
- 8. Precise M3 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- Understanding Golf Club Length Based On Height and Other Factors
- Length of Golf Clubs
- Why Golf Club Fit Is An Important Factor
- How to Measure Golf Clubs
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The End
Top 8 Golf Clubs to Buy If You’re A Tall Golfer
1. Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set
- The Strata 12 piece set is designed for maximum performance...
- Woods: Lightweight 460cc forged driver that has a large...
- Hybrid: A 5 Hybrid is a great alternative to difficult long...
- Irons/Wedge: Stainless steel irons (6 9 irons, PW) offer a...
- Putter: A mallet putter with alignment to help give you...
This 12-piece complete golf club set by Callaway is perfect for you if your height is between 5 feet, 7 inches and 6 feet, 1 inch. Callaway Strata is also a fitting choice for the brand new golfer. You get forgiveness, distance, and control with woods, hybrids, and irons.
Even the mallet-style putter covers unfavorable situations that new golfers often find themselves in. And it does so with the help of an alignment aid to boost accuracy. It could just as well be a part of our list of the best putters for high-handicap and/or beginner golfers.
2. Palm Springs Golf Visa Mens Tall Graphite & Steel Club Set
- All clubs are 1 inch longer throughout this set for taller...
- The oversize 460cc driver (the biggest legally allowed) has...
- The 15° #3 fairway wood, though smaller than the driver,...
- This golf club set includes 2 hybrids – a #3 (18°) and #4...
- The 6 irons 5-6-7-8-9-PW all feature a cavity back design,...
Yes, you’re tall if your height is above 6’1”. So how about making sure your golf club set fits you the most comfortably to support your “special” swing movement? Enter Palm Springs with their Visa +1” Tall Graphite & Steel Club Set. Every golf club here is an inch longer, thus the perfect choice for taller players.
Also, you don’t take time to reach the point where your shots effortlessly start to travel straight and far. The wood and hybrids hit well, the irons play well, and the driver corrects mis-hits well.
3. Aspire XD1 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- Includes Titanium Driver, Fairway Wood, Hybrid, 6-PW Irons,...
- 460cc Titanium Driver! Stainless Steel Woods and Irons
- 100% Graphite Shaft On Woods & True Temper Steel Shafts on...
- Matching Deluxe Dual-Strap Golf Bag and Headcovers! Carry...
- This Golf Set is for a Right Handed Player! 2 Sizes...
The irons included in this complete golf club set by Aspire hit true. On top of that, there’s the hybrid, wood, and driver that just pop. Even those who prioritize accuracy over distance are most likely to be pleased with the XD1 collection. And your arms can be as long as they come, no worries because these clubs are made for golfers for 6’1” and taller.
If you want our honest opinion, then you should know that Aspire golf clubs are budget-friendly. So in terms of quality, don’t expect anything superior. But satisfying nevertheless!
4. Precise M5 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- Tall men's right handed golf set includes: 460cc driver, #3...
- Height: 6'1" to 6'4". might be suitable for 6'0'', 6'5'' and...
- 460cc driver for extensive distance and forgiveness
- Great aiming mechanism putter
- Deluxe stand bag with spacious pockets and 3 matching head...
Get the Tall size in this one obviously as it’s the perfect fit for golfers who are 6’1” or above. And Precise M5 is also the best for beginners because of the massive sweet spot on the driver. So it’s no more unreasonable to expect your golf clubs to improve your strokes as well as your final score.
And you know it’s a complete package when the brand includes an accuracy-boosting putter outfitted with a great aiming aid AND a deluxe, spacious golf stand bag.
5. Pro Performance Golf New Mens Complete Golf Set
- Made for the Left Handed Taller Man 6'0" to 6'6" Tall
- All clubs 1" longer than standard mens length
- 460cc Driver, Fairway Wood and Hybrid all Graphite Regular...
- Automatic Stand & Dual Strap Golf Bag
- Matching Headcovers, Premium Quality Set
The size is Tall (fits golfers between 6’0” and 6’6”), the hand orientation is Left, and the shaft flex is Regular. If these fit your requirements, there’s no reason to not buy this complete golf set by Pro Performance Golf.
The golf ball may not necessarily travel straight, here’s a fix for that, but it surely goes much farther than expected. Plus, great price for the value and quality you get!
6. PreciseGolf Co. 18 Piece Men’s Complete Golf Club
- Full Titanium Driver With a Large "Sweet Spot" To Hit Bombs...
- Very Forgiving #3 & #5 Fairway Woods Built For Long...
- 5-PW Stainless Steel Irons with Bonus Sand Wedge! These...
- Lightweight Blade Style Putter With Alignment System to Sink...
- Large Mid-Size Dual-Compound Grips for Extra Comfort! True...
A pretty good bargain indeed for golfers who are 6’1” or above, this 18-piece golf club set is all about forgiveness. We’re not talking about “HOLY” forgiveness here but forgiveness in the game of golf that takes the form of greater distances even when you hit an off-center shot.
Although you might take a while to get used to the hybrid, which actually is an excellent long-iron substitute. But then once that happens, it’s sure to become your go-to golf club for all kinds of shots.
7. Wilson Men’s and Teen Complete Golf Set
- Premium components and precision engineering make golf much...
- Includes 9 clubs: Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6-PW, Putter
- Oversize 460cc forged titanium composite driver features...
- Unique driver head design provides stability and improved...
- Enhanced head design yields better trajectory than...
Taller than 6’0”? Then an option that actually works in your favor is this wonderful Wilson set that comes with a premium, lightweight golf carry bag. The impact surface of every club is enlarged, so you don’t have to suffer the consequences of frequenting mis-hits.
Furthermore, the combination of golf clubs you get is a good one. The irons, in particular, are the most useful because they’re structured for providing exceptional forgiveness for beginners.
8. Precise M3 Men’s Complete Golf Clubs
- Full set of clubs right out of the box!
- Maximum forgiveness on the woods and irons equals straighter...
- Matching Deluxe Dual-Strap Golf Bag and Headcovers! Carry...
- Tall Size available for 6'1" and above!
Precise here provides tall golfers with the perfect beginner set, or let’s call it the perfect set for a weekend golfer. The feel of the golf clubs is good, the grips are good, and the overall consensus is that they’re easier to hit.
Maximum forgiveness is a huge part of the experience. Be it with irons or woods, you can now generate straighter shots the most effortlessly.
Understanding Golf Club Length Based On Height and Other Factors
At the beginning of this article, we said…
“But then, once again, the solution is not that simple. Meaning, not all tall golfers really benefit from longer golf clubs. It also depends on how wide of an arc you create during your swing movement. A wider arc generates more clubhead speed, which produces longer shots.”
So what is this common/controversial paradox of length versus control? Why do average or below-average height golfers choose longer clubs and vice versa? Let us explain below.
More often than not, taller men or women naturally swing with a wider arc. Plus, the swing is also steeper, meaning perpendicularly closer to the turf.
On the other hand, a shallower or flatter swing has its own set of advantages. Such as minimizing the chances of a slice, maximizing the potential of a penetrating ball flight, and lowering the trajectory under windy conditions.
At the same time, a shallower swing is also responsible for preventing fat shots. Steep swings create a deeper, more aggressive divot. So you’re highly likely to hit the turf behind your golf ball. But sweeping the ball a little extra is actually great for shorter shots that could use the added spin to their advantage.
Normally, tall golfers produce a steeper swing for shorter shots and a shallow swing for longer shots. But this doesn’t happen among most amateurs, particularly mid and high handicappers. To swing shallow more easily, a longer golf club is the most useful. The only drawback to this, however, is not being able to achieve consistency easily.
So the moral of the story is that custom-fitted golf clubs, no doubt, solve the problem. But that’s a viable solution only for those with a low handicap. As for mid-handicap and high-handicap golfers, they can choose off-the-shelf tall-size golf clubs.
Length of Golf Clubs
The shaft length of a golf club has a direct impact on consistency and accuracy. Thus, strengthening our discussion even more regarding the importance of a proper golf club fit based on height.
So what is the standard length of golf clubs for men?
- Graphite driver – 44.5 inches
- Steel driver – 44 inches
- Graphite 3-wood, 4-wood, and 5-wood – 43 inches, 42.5 inches, 42 inches
- Steel 3-wood, 4-wood, and 5-wood – 42.5 inches, 42 inches, 41.5 inches
- Graphite irons 1 to 9 – 1-iron starts from 40 inches with a 0.5-inch decrease as the number of iron increases (for example, 2-iron is 39.5 inches, 3-iron is 39 inches, etc.)
- Steel irons 1 to 9 – 1-iron starts from 39.5 inches with a 0.5-inch decrease as the number of iron increases (for example, 2-iron is 39 inches, 3-iron is 38.5 inches, etc.)
- Graphite wedges – 35.5 inches
- Steel wedges – 35 inches
Why Golf Club Fit Is An Important Factor
Did you know that the standard golf club fit caters to only 5-percent of the golfing population? A relevant fact indeed that we thought you might want to know.
Moving on, hitting the golf ball right at the clubface center is what you need to do, right? No matter how short or tall you are. So hitting dead center means this impact point should be squared up to your target. And you can achieve this particular goal only when your club fit is on-point. Even more so in case you’re taller!
How to Measure Golf Clubs
If you’re asking how to measure yourself for golf clubs, just get the distance between your wrists hinging and the ground. Have someone take this measurement for you if you want a more accurate reading.
But if what you’re asking is how to measure the length of a golf club, then that requires a different set of instructions. But for this too, you need someone to take the measurement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Tall Golfers Need Longer Clubs?
Height isn’t the only factor that decides whether or not you need to use longer clubs because not every tall person has longer legs. Maybe your upper half of the body or your arms are longer than your legs. And if that’s the case, then why buy a longer golf club!
You should also take into account other factors, such as is your natural golf posture lower? If you’re not addressing the golf ball in an erect stance, then it’s only logical to consider switching to longer clubs.
What Size of Golf Clubs is Perfect for my Height?
Here’s the ultimate golf club size chart based on height…
STANDARD GOLF CLUB LENGTH
6’9” – 7’0”
Add 2 inches to standard length
6’6” – 6’9”
Add 1.5 inches to standard length
6’3” – 6’6”
Add 1 inch to standard length
6’0” – 6’3”
Add 0.5 inches to standard length
5’9” – 6’0”
5’6” – 5’9”
Subtract 0.5 inches from standard length
5’3” – 5’6”
Subtract 1 inch from standard length
5’0” – 5’3”
Subtract 1.5 inches from standard length
4’9” – 5’0”
Subtract 2 inches from standard length
What is the Average Length of Golf Clubs for Women?
The standard length for women's golf clubs is 43 inches. That’s one inch shorter than the standard length of golf clubs for men.
How to Tell if Golf Clubs are too Short?
Here are the most common signs to help you reach the conclusion that you need longer golf clubs…
- Too much bending at the waist or in the knees.
- Excessively quick tempo.
- The ball traveling to the right more often than not.
- The ball hitting the heel of the golf club.
- An in-to-out swing path.
What Happens When Golf Clubs are Too Long?
Know that your golf clubs are too long when…
- You’re compelled to stand completely upright.
- The shaft of the club feels too weak.
- You’re striking the golf ball with the golf club toe constantly.
- You can’t move the lower body during your swing.
- The ball often flies too high and toward the left.
Ultimately, the process of golf club selection is an entirely personal choice that’s based on what works best for your height, size, swing form and technique, and other preferences. So don’t go by any pre-set standards or statistics.
The goal is for you to make sure the golf ball strikes right at the dead-center of that clubface. And if that’s not happening, then maybe, just maybe the golf clubs you’re using are too short.